Series 10. Essays and Student Papers, 1888-1962
1 box (0.417 linear feet)
This subseries is limited to Du Bois' contributions to encyclopedias and other works of multiple authorship. Most were published between 1924-1962, but several were never published. There are five forewords contributed by Du Bois to books written by others between 1922 and 1962. The student papers are arranged in four groups: papers at Fisk around 1888; papers at Harvard, 1888-1891; student papers, largely on economics and politics, from the 1890s; and "Sketches, 1889-1896," which includes some travel notes, journals, notes on celebrations of his birthday, and some creative writing from his time at the University of Berlin.
The materials are arranged chronologically.
- African American churches
- African Americans--Social conditions--19th century
- African Americans--Suffrage
- African Americans--Biography--Encyclopedias
- Berkshire Hills (Mass.)
- Douglass, Frederick, 1818-1895--Biography
- Du Bois, W. E. B. (William Edward Burghardt), 1868-1963--Anniversaries, etc.
- Georgia--Social life and customs
- Germany--Politics and government--19th century
- Germany--Social conditions--19th century
- Germany--Social life and customs
- Holmes, John Haynes, 1879-1964--Biography
- Political science
- Railroads--Germany--History--19th century
- Rogovin, Milton, 1909---Storefront churches
- Socialism--Germany--19th century
- Schweitzer, Albert, 1875-1965--Biography